Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Day in My Life.


This is a great concept care of Little Jenny Wren. The idea is to record our day. This occurs on the 14th of every month.



I awoke to a cloudy sky. The house was quiet, all children in blissful slumber as they worked hard on their homework last night and the little ones had been busy playing with their cousins.
I enjoyed my fresh orange and then showered. I made our bed and put back the baskets of clean washing that I moved about yesterday!! I started today's load of washing.



I headed to the computer to journal my quiet time, then tried with great difficulty to wake 6 year old daughter and 9 year old son. When it was 4 year old daughter's turn, she awoke a lot quicker. Weetbix, Milo and honey all around. Beds were made, 4 year old's hair done and clothes selected (she is fussy) and dressed. The older two continued with teeth brushing and uniforms. 6 year old daughter then practiced piano which I hoped would help 2 year old daughter to stir. It did. In the meantime, 9 year old son put forward his hope that we would let him play 'tag rugby' for the school. I am still thinking it over.



2 year old daughter was up and dressed nice and quickly. I made the lunches, did 6 year old daughter's hair and gave 2 year old daughter her breakfast. I noticed it was raining at this point so decided to drive everyone to school rather than rely on the bus.



After the bathroom was wiped over, dishes stacked in the dishwasher, notes on the bench transferred to school bags, the older two packed the car for me. They also helped 4 year old daughter into the car. 2 year old daughter decided slippers were necessary and a beanie, this however was washed and packed away as Winter is finished is it not?



A lovely drive and chat to school and preschool. Home again for my breakfast and coffee. Also a quick tidy up of the study and cuddles with the cat. I dealt with a few emails and a phone call from my mother. A quick review of a Bible study that I am sharing with a friend, and I also made sure that 2 year old daughter's lunch was packed. I tried to email a copy of the Bible study to another lady from church as well, but her address did not work.



Out the door again, this time for a haircut for me.
We arrived and enjoyed lovely chats with Jenny the salon owner. 2 year old daughter behaved and enjoyed her lunch and books. We also were given a lovely prize to put in the school trivia night that will be held this Saturday night.



Back home in the rain and a thought that a roast would be a nice meal tonight. I took the roast out of the freezer (there will be a need to cook it for longer). I also put some pot plants in the rain for a good drink. I started the tumble dryer with this morning's load of washing.



2 year old daughter and I read a book together and then I put her to bed. Another quick email, this time to organise a 40th birthday. I also emailed the coordinator of the trivia night. Lunch for me was the chicken mush from dinner last night on a sandwich with mayonnaise. Quite good actually. The next step for me is to tidy the kitchen bench, consider and perhaps work on, the plans for the older two children's birthdays......The washing may only be put away tomorrow..



It is absolutely pouring rain now.
Well actually, I sorted through hair accessories for the girls and put all my handbags in a basket for easy storage. I also had a 10 minute lie down as I had a headache. Just as I lay down I looked at one half of the lounge room and thought how nice the dried flowers were above the buffet and hutch. We received them when our fourth child was born from a dear friend.



I put the roast in the oven, woke 2 year old daughter and drove to preschool to collect 4 year old daughter. Home again and I ran a bubble bath for her.



Afterwards, a lovely disagreement about her clothing. I cleaned the bath and then heard the bus arrive. The older two walked in with great excitement; 9 year old son's teacher is expecting twins next April....



After freshening up and sorting through their bags, I prepared afternoon tea: apples, apricots, sultanas, cheese, banana and Yakult. They also had Tim Tams (a nice chocolate biscuit.)



The sun has come out to dry up all the rain. Once the children had heard that we were having a roast, there were requests for chocolate pudding. I will try......9 year old son and I had a quick chat about a speech he needs to present this Thursday.



6 year old daughter got ready for ballet and 9 year old son did his homework. He was hoping that his friend could come and play, but his friend was still busy with his homework. Husband E came home and a long overdue cup of tea was poured.



The phone rang and 9 year old son's friend asked if it was still OK for him to come over as he had now finished his homework. His Mum then stayed for a cup of tea. Two little ones were very excited to see her and it was hard to get a word in edgeways!!!



The ballerinas came home, the boys were still playing..... I quickly dashed out to buy milk and potatoes, a quick wave to our lovely neighbours down the driveway. I came home, prepared the potatoes for mash (which husband E mashed), prepared the vegetables and whipped up a chocolate pudding. The promise of a pudding has meant that husband E is staying home tonight and not rushing off to a Vintage Sports Car Club Meeting. The older two children have showered and 6 year old daughter is working on her homework. Dinner is ready.....

Delicious roast beef and vegetables and the pudding was cooked whilst we ate.



2 year old daughter then had her shower and I cleared the table. The older three had Drop Everything And Read. I then sat with them and listened to 6 year old daughter read. I then listened to 9 year old son. E read to the little ones and then we both said prayers with them. I said prayers with 6 year old daughter and then went to the kitchen to sign her homework. I also signed 9 year old son's homework. He went to bed to read further.


I hung up shirts ready for ironing, checked the ballet bag and then changed into my pyjamas. My plan is now to type my list/outline for tomorrow, think further about the older two children's birthdays, phone my sister, post this "Day in My Life"and attempt to include pictures, always a problem when it is raining. I also hope to review my tax return and hopefully read. A cup of tea too I think. A very nice day.

7 comments:

Fiona said...

Sounds like a lovely day. My dream is to be able to take a photo like yours for my blog - one showing half a room with no mess visible and no dust! (there's a reason why all my photos are macro!)

GingerLouise Clothing said...

Nice day and beautifully written, the way my day started off I am not sure it would be a good idea to post it!

Cathy said...

I so enjoyed reading about your day. I must confess it leaves me a little breathless as if I was there doing it all with you!

Tia said...

I share Fiona's thoughts about your room and especially the floor! Sounds like a nicely fruitful day.

Tia

Caroline said...

Thanks for sharing your day I enjoyed reading your blog

Jan said...

I enjoyed reading about your day. Too soon these little ones wull be grown. Enjoy them now.

Carole said...

Hi, I came here via Little Jenny Wren. As a mom of two little ones (1 and 3) I was in awe of how your family (with kids of 2,4,6, and 9) orchestrated your morning so beautifully. Maybe it was me imagining your daughter's piano practice, but your day seemed like a vigorous symphony in action!

Best wishes,
Carole