Sunday, August 23, 2009

Friday's Fresh Produce.





Well the weekend is almost done but I thought that I would talk a little about our fruit/veg delivery that comes on a Friday.



Our local fruit/veg shop kindly deliver an order to me that I phone in on a Friday morning. This week, there was quite a lot on special and I also needed to factor in a large salad for a bbq for today (Hospitality Sunday at church) and dessert-some fruit.



My order included: 6 loaves bread, 1 x 3L milk, 2 buckets of apples, bucket mandarines, bucket kiwi fruit, 2 bunches English spinach leaves, 2 heads lettuce, 1 cucumber, green capsicum, a Spanish onion, 4 loose tomatoes, 3 punnets cherry tomatoes, 2 punnets strawberries, a large wedge of watermelon, 2 bunches asparagus, 5 zucchini, half a celery, bulk bag of oranges, 1 kilo carrots and 2 dozen eggs. I had already bought a bunch of bananas the day before. We will not throw out one item from this list! The cost of this amount is about $70 AUD. Now imagine if we grew our own.........I have stuck the lettuce roots into the soil and I see that the cherry tomatoes from last year are resprouting. Our avocado tree is growing very well, but I have heard that it probably won't bear fruit here in Sydney. Our passionfruit vine surprises us after Christmas, so that will be nice.


PS I have loads of oregano growing and it will be time for basil soon.

No comments: